Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Camera Ordeal

Memorial Day parade ... our son, who is a member of his school's marching band, played solo with his electric guitar. I positioned myself in front so I could have a better view since I want to take a video with my digital camera ... and so I thought; until after the parade when I tried to view the video, and I saw nothing! ... the screen is blank!? What the heck ....!? I realized then my mistake, I did not push the "record" button. duh! Well then ok ... not the end of the world. I will still have another chance. Luckily, they are participating in a marching band competition the following weekend.

And so, that weekend hubby and I started early, over 2 hours early to be exact! We brought folding chairs and positioned ourselves across from the judging stage. When the parade started, I video-taped the first marching band because I thought I should have a beginning and end with our son's marching band. When it was their turn to march, I stood up and positioned myself in front of a telephone pole just so I was not blocking anyone's view. Cool, I got the best spot. The winterguards performed, the band performed, then they all started to step aside in a semi-circle and in the middle is our son ... he is going to play his solo now ... then... my camera went blank! !@%$^&*&#@ ... again, another, what the h ....?! the memory card is full!!! ... and this time since it is a competition, he played with his electric guitar behind his back! Even 'ma and 'pa were surprised; we did not expect him to play that way. The spectators were applauding! And I did not get it on video! :( I brought 2 other memory cards with me but by the time I was able to put a new one, his performance was over. Lucky for us again, they have one more competition remaining in two weeks. We did not have a plan to go because it is over a one hour drive, and we are not familiar with the area but I've got to have his solo on video and at this time, I was really so mad at myself for video taping the first band which was a little bit too long since they were the town host's marching band!

So yesterday, Saturday, hubby and I drove to this place. We drove around and around in circle looking for a place to park. We found one and it was a long walk to the judging area; I felt so bad for my hubby because he just had knee surgery the last week of April, but I got to capture our son's solo! :) Most parents are so proud of their kids accomplishments and it so happens that I am one of them. And so, below is finally his solo. BUT, I was a little disappointed because his band director suggested that he play with his guitar in front; the director thinks it will sound better that way. We thought the sound is not as important as the showmanship but ... he is after all the director. Our son still received applause but not as "noisy" as the first competition. On our way home, he told us that for next year, he was given the responsibility to pick what they are going to play. And so, if you have any songs that impressed you, we welcome your suggestions. This year they played Beatles' songs.

So, my good friends, presenting to you our son's solo, it is not professionally done but still a keepsake and special ... for us anyway.


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww!too bad the first video attempt went disappointing. But at least there's the 2nd one. wow!Congrats to you nance...you as parent with your hubby also deserve the credit. you've raised a talented son.

great new template!we have the same taste.;0)

Mari said...

Oh, wow! Wow...wow. Nance, he's got it...the talent.

Applause...applause!

Ann said...

Proud na proud tayong mga parents pag ganyan.


www.appleofmyeyes.kadyo.com

Anonymous said...

I was holding my breath,Nance,haha!and in the end,yes!!you did it!wowwww!!Your son is sooooo cool!congrats to you and yours!!

it happens you know,the video and camera thing,during the time of emergency,LOL!

good job!more more!!

ghee

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Nance, This was great! I enjoyed the video and your son did an amazing job! I even showed the video to my 9 yr old son, who wants to take guitar lessons soon! He loved it, and tell your son he was much inspiration to him! :) I know you are so proud of him!

Deena at Can I Be Pretty in Pink, is hosting a garden tour! You might want to consider sharing some of your beautiful flowers...

Take Care! Hugs, Rhonda

kari and kijsa said...

Wow!! You did it- so fabulous! Your son is very talented!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Norm said...

wow! nice video.. I love watching.. Nance congrats.. great talent..thanks for the visit and have a nice day..

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

My euculyptus (sp?) "tree" probably is an overgrown bush! LOLOL! It has a 2" trunk and is 10' tall. It is lanky and doesn't have a very pretty shape! The lady across the street has one and it is really shaped like a tree, and is even taller. And you can't kill them! LOL! It is a tough bugger! Thanks for joining me on my garden tour....

Hugs, Rhonda ;)

Nance said...

ev (pts of view)yes, that was really disappointing and frustrating but i won over my camera! lol

thanks for your kind words.

Nance said...

mari,
i can almost hear your applause! :)

ann,
we are all so proud of our kids, aren't we? welcome back, how was your trip?

Nance said...

ghee,
yup! i did it!!! i know what you mean, when you need something in a hurry, that's when things doesn't go your way. :(

Nance said...

Hi Rhonda,
i told my son about yours, and you know that proud look in their eyes? ... they don't have to say anything to know their answer.

thank you for directing me to deena, i love her blog and also signed up for the garden tour. i posted it at my other blog.

Nance said...

kari & kijsa
welcome to my blog! and thanks for your praises.

Marina Capano said...

ance, This was great! I enjoyed the video and your son did an amazing job!Your son is very talented!! thanks for your commet in my blog!see you!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Nance!
Wow! It was worth the third try! Your son did an amazing job! Thank you for sharing this!
Hugs,
Penny

Anonymous said...

oh-uhhh...sayang! At least kahit papaano may solo pa rin. Hindi ko maview ang video nance, I'll try to open it again when I get home. sana huwag lang magsara si mamang blogger host. lol.

Anonymous said...

Nance,

I know exactly how you feel. I get so nervous when I really want to get a good picture, and usually something strange happens!

Not only do I not get the picture, I have also missed getting to enjoy the performance!

This is GREAT! Congratulations!

Donna

Anonymous said...

wow, lots of potential. neal schon in the making.a future rocker!!!

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Hi, Nance!
What an unfortunate experience. Well, sometimes, that can happen to any of us...

I would really like to view the video but when I click, I was noted an error message seeing the video is no longer available. What could possibly be the problem?