Sunday, August 23, 2009

Today's Flowers #54 - unique garden treats

Time for Today's Flowers again! ... hosted by TF team, Luiz, Denise, Laerte & Valkyrien. Interested to participate? ... please visit their site.

Today, I am featuring treats from Mother Nature! lol It seems like every year I get new plants from the old and I don't even have to do anything. The 3 photos below are my original phlox ... noticed their solid colors?






... and then one year, I noticed this phlox with creamy-white centers.


... while this one is just the opposite. I don't remember planting these two, besides, I stopped planting phlox because deer love them... and i have a love-hate relationship with deer ;) Could it be the results of the top three above? ... i don't know.


Last year I harvested seeds of these fluted cosmos from a friend's garden, I remember the seeds were of pink, darker pink and white ...


... dark pink


... plain white


... and what a nice surprise when this pale/soft pink came up this year!

... here's another look of that pale pink


Here's an old timer burgundy-red cosmos, seeds were harvested from last year.


... pink/purplish cosmos


... white cosmos


... and another surprise! ... a very light pink cosmos w/ burgundy edging appeared this year! Each petal is outlined in burgundy-red! I will surely gather seeds from this breed.


...and how about this cosmos? I definitely did not have this last year. I love the look of its petals, like they were painted with a brush. It will be thrilling to watch what wonders will emerge next year.

... a close up.


Here's my favorite ... my solid peachy-orange colored hibiscus


... and then one day, I noticed one, just one multi-colored bloom! Is this unique or what?


... and how about a Siamese twin coneflower? lol ... certainly a double beauty and a double pleasure for me and the bees!


... can't resist to show you this!

Oh well, as they say, variety is the spice of life and I surely welcome new flowers each year. Thank you, Mother Nature!!!

27 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

wow sis, you've got a lot of flower variety in your garden! Am sure it is so relaxing to walk around your garden!

Ebie said...

Hi Nance, your garden has full of surprises! I specially love the light pink and dark pink hibiscus combination! Could it be a cross-pollination? And those tube like petals of cosmos, they are just so unique!

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

very interesting your shots....congrats and never seen picture like your...small and romantic and too...different position...the petals are differents

ChrisC said...

Love that hibiscus!The color is amazing.
And so are your phlox.I have trouble growing them here in Florida.Too hot and humid,I guess.

Joanna said...

What a fascinating look at the changing nature of flowers. I love especially the painted cosmos and the one with the deep colored edging. Isn't Mother Nature incredible in her creativity?

DeniseinVA said...

Exceptional!!! A lovely variety Nance, thank you for sharing them. Thanks also for identifying the marigold. I don't know why I had such a hard time with that one, put I could just not pull its name out of my head. Have a great week.

Rosamaria said...

I didn1t know cosmos, Nance, and they are very beautiful as all the photos of your blog are.Congratulations!
Thanks for passing by. Have a nice week!

Marju said...

So many beautiful flowers!

i beati said...

what fun this post was - Fluted cosmos are sooooo lovely

Tammie Lee said...

lovely flowers ~
Spirithelpers

the Baitlady said...

Beautiful blooms! I love the fluted cosmos. I'll have to watch for some of those seeds next spring.

Gunilla said...

Fantastic shots of all that beautiful flowers.

Gunilla in Sweden

VALKYRIEN said...

What a wonderful garden you have! So many beautiful colors, and variety of flowers! Thank you for sharing this delight!

And thank you for visiting!

Tom said...

Lots of flowers and they're all beautiful and lovely.

Pat - Arkansas said...

You've got some unique flowers. I really like the cosmos edged in burgundy. I hope its seeds will be true. Gorgeous hibiscus, too.! Thanks for sharing your photos.

Mari said...

your garden is paradise, nance. you have all sorts of flowers--different shapes, sizes, colors, tri-colors and etc.

Meryl (proud pinay) said...

wow i love those flowers especially pics 4 to 6
at syempre un last hehehe... katakamtakam ^_^

Inday said...

Nature has so much wonder created for our wonderment. We often spend time wondering how they can recreate their own palette. If you observe closely flowers are the bees hub center. Watch them ... just watch them how they swarm. Then remember them (the bees) on the next flowering season. You will notice something new ... their colours transcend from dark to light to pastel and rainbow combo. Some plants are self-sufficient. They just want to be left alone and nature takes its course, free of charge to you. The result? The ones you are displaying now. Isn't that a miracle?

Bradley Hsi said...

You sure have a very lovely garden with so many varieties. Amazing colors of cosmos, apparently they have cross-pollenated and generated such a variety of color combinations.

Arija said...

I love the Phlox and Cosmos, it reminds me of my mother's garden.

Mia N said...

Thank you for all these lovely flowers photos.

Nance said...

chubskulit,
Yes, it is...taking inventory! lol
Hope your hubby is feeling better, Rose.

Ebie,
Full of surprises indeed! I read it somewhere that color like my hibiscus is common. That they are usually caused by virus, genetic mutation or plant's response to environment.

Meryl (proud pinay) said...

you are so lucky dahil sa iyong green thumb... i love your flowers..especially the cosmos..

PinayWAHM said...

I wish we have those flowers in our own garden. I'm sure our little one will be out there staring at them. Maybe one day....

Hi Nance. Kamusta na? It's been a while since my last hop here.

Hope everything's going great...

J

Meryl (proud pinay) said...

just want to say happy weekend ^_^

Anonymous said...

ms. nance, your posts never fail to brighten my day! one cannot help but smile and appreciate mother nature with those blooms.
...i haven't seen even on photos those fluted cosmos until i bloghopped here. thanks for sharing.
and btw, nice template and colorful header! are those blooms in your header a product of your green thumb too? i bet.

Lory said...

Nance,
After you harvest them, when do you plant the seeds and how?

Those younger generations/hybrids look great!